There are no words to fully express the event I witnessed last night. It actually took me an entire day of thinking to even begin to put my experience into words.
Last night I attended the "Ramp Ceremony" for the 38 heroes that died over the weekend when one of our helocopters crashed. On board were 30 brave Americans, 7 brave Afghanis, and 1 brave military working dog. None survived.
This ramp ceremony was unlike the others I have attended since being here. First, there were easily over 1,000 people in attendance, where there are normally less than 100. Second, this one took place at night when it is not quite as hot outside. When I arrived, the set up was even different. Instead of one C-17, there were two, backed up to the hanger. As we stood in formation, the band started playing, soft and low, like all the other ceremonies, but then the trucks came in. Usually each flag draped box is brought in on a HUMMV, but there were so many that they had to be brought in on three flatbed vehicles. Slowly the process of removing the boxes from the trucks and taking them, carefully into the hanger began. The sheer number was overwhelming. As I watched the men step forward to take the next box from the truck, I felt the tears rolling down my face. I didn't know any of these amazing people, but the care and love that was shown for each one was overwhelming. Each of these men meant something to someone. I know they were all men because of the unit they were in. These brave men were fathers, sons, brothers, cousins, uncles. While standing there with the desert wind blowing, watching the boxes being lined up to one another, listening as their names were read out loud, I prayed for their families - for their little ones who wouldn't have their daddy; for the parents that lost their child.
When the flatbeds were finally empty, three HUMMVs pulled slowly forward and three more boxes were added to the hanger. One carried an Army Ranger who was killed on Sunday. According to the news reports, he had called his family Sunday morning to let them know that he had not been killed in the helocopter crash. He died later that day.
Following a very solemn ceremony in the hanger, we all - 1,000+ in number - came to attention and drew our salute as each box was carefully carried and loaded onto the waiting planes. Halfway through my arm began to shake, my legs grew tired and the tears continued, but it was an honor to be there, to pay respect to the heroes who died to make this country better.
The one thing I kept thinking about as I walked home last night was how special life is and how you aren't promised tomorrow. Please remember that. Hug your babies. Call your parents. Tell your siblings that you love them.
I love you all. If you see my babies, give them hugs for me.
I think we are all in tears with you on this one. Stay safe.
ReplyDeleteOn the Today show one of the mom's said, "I am so very proud of my son."
ReplyDeleteI am Ian Guy's wife. He sent me the link to your blog. I think it is wonderful that you are attending ramp ceremonies. Two months ago tomorrow, a dear friend of mine was killed. He fought alongside the Ranger that you mentioned. It means a lot to know that people are looking out for our Soldiers who have made the ultimate sacrifice. They deserve an incredible amount of respect. Thank you.
ReplyDelete