Sunday, July 31, 2011

Good Day, Bad Day

I don't know exactly where to start with this blog post.  The past two days have been good and bad. 


On the good side, yesterday I got to see Karl Malone, my all-time favorite basketball player.  He, Jon Stewart (The Daily Show) and David Blaine (Magician) came to Bagram with the USO.  They were here for one night to do a meet and greet.  My battle buddy, Dan, and I got to the MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) tent an hour before they were supposed to get there, and already the line was at least a mile long!  I was not to be deterred though, so I persuaded Dan to stand in line with me.  I mean, we are in Afghanistan, what else were we going to do?




Finally, after waiting almost 2 hours, we made it to the front of the line!  By that time they were only allowing group pictures, but Dan told me to give him my camera and we would sneak a personal picture (actually everyone was doing the same thing!) He had so much fun laughing at me.  He said I was just like a little kid waiting for Santa!  When we finished our group picture, before leaving, I turned and said, "Mailman, will you take a picture with me?"  Definately a great evening for me!




Today, was a much different day.  This afternoon, I attended a Ramp Ceremony for two fallen Heros.  A Ramp Ceremony is conducted when fallen Soldiers are loaded onto the airplane for their final trip home.  The ceremony today was for an American Soldier and a Polish Soldier who were killed this week by an IED (improvised explosive device or roadside bomb).  It was a truly a sombering event.  Something I cannot even begin to explain.  Their flag-drapped caskets were carried by their fellow Soldiers to the plane as everyone standing on the flight line saluted.  I kept thinking about their families and what they must be feeling.  I am thankful for their bravery and for their sacrifice.  There will be another one in a few days.  Unfortunately, they happen pretty regularly around here.  I am going to try to attend every one that I can.  It's the least I can do for what those Soldiers have done for me, and not just for my country, but for every country that loves life and freedom.

This is what a ramp ceremony looks like.



My day ended the best way possible.  I was finally able to talk to my babies over Skype video chat.  The video wasn't perfect, but I could see their little faces and hear the little voices.  Luke fussed at me for being on my trip for so long, but Ella just kept giggling.  I sure miss them.  They both kept giving me kisses on the screen.  I am so blessed.

If you see my babies, give them big hugs for me!

1 comment:

  1. Dangit, this blog kinda got me:'( lol.great pics though! Thanks for takin the time to share, love yall.

    ReplyDelete