Thursday, July 28, 2011

Get Pumped!

My goal for this deployment is to return fitter and healthier than when I left.  Many may not think it, but I am actually on the verge of being overweight (by Army standards), and believe me, that is not a place you want to be!  Anyway, I do have a few leftover pounds from Luke and Ella (ok, from college, law school, tailgating, general laziness, and Luke and Ella...) that I would like to get rid of, so I figured this year would be a perfect opportunity to get in shape since downrange people have very little time to do much else other than work, eat, work, sleep, and work, and working out is kind of a requirement (at least enough to stay within weight standards and to pass the PT test).  So far I have been doing very well on my goal of working out every day.  I alternate days between running, lifting weights, and yoga; there are actually several workout classes at various times during the day and night that I can participate in (when you're working 12 hour days, you can pick your time to workout within that time!)  I was even successful in doing 3 miles on the eliptical trainer (which is the bane of my existance, by the way!)  I haven't found a workout partner yet, but I'm still looking.  I am the only female in the office I am working in, so none of the guys have taken me up on Yoga yet, although half the class is guys!

Another goal that I have had for a while is to try to compete in the Army 10-miler in Washington, DC.  The Army 10-miler is held every year in October.  Thousands and thousands of people run every year.  In fact, registration opens in March, and it is usually sold out within the first day or so!  I have never been a good runner.  I have bad running form, high arches, and I get shin splints and stress fractures.  I have, however, always wanted to enjoy running.  I love the feeling that you get after you've finished a good run (once the general pain and misery subside!).  Therefore, this year I am going to run a few shorter road races (5k, 10k) in hopes of eventually working up to running the Army 10-miler in October 2012.  They actually have an Army 10-miler, Afghanistan, the same day as the actual Army 10-miler, but I don't believe I'll be quite ready by this October.  Instead I'll just cheer on my co-workers who are going to run, keep training and be ready to register next spring!

If you see my kiddos, give them big hugs for me!

1 comment:

  1. I gave ella a big hug for ya the other day!! Her and trevor had a blast!!

    ReplyDelete